When preparing for a presentation start with a script, create slides and rehearse before giving your talk.
Guide for script writing:
1. Introduce the topic - state your position, start with a hook. Engage with your audience and make them care.
2. Explain your idea - clearly and with conviction
3. Describe your evidence
4. Call to Action - how and why you are implementing your idea
5. Conclusion - reveal the new reality, how the audience lives will be affected if they act on your idea.
Guide for creating a slide presentation:
1. Should I use slides? If slides clarify information use them but keep it simple.
2. What goes on the slide:
- Images and photos to help the audience remember the person place or thing
- One point per slide
- As little text as possible
- No bullets points
3. Formatting the slide
- Use consistent graphics and fonts
- Use a common font like Helvetica or Verdana
- Font readable 42 points or larger
4. Reference material
- Images and text must be referenced
Modified from TedTalks Speakers Guide (2017).
IB.ATL.COM.1.05 Use appropriate forms of writing for different purposes and audiences
IB.ATL.COM.1.04 Use a variety of speaking techniques to communicate with a variety of audiences.